Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Forest Children~


It's been a while since I've written something on any of my blogs--too long. I've been going through some hard times as of late, & I've found myself feeling...rather uninspired. Until recently, that is.

Last night, my friends (Shawn Baker & Dennis Hellmann--who are The Forest Children) launched their first ever music video. I will include the link at the end of this post, so you may view it if you so choose. The video itself...was incredible, & when I told Dennis so, he thanked me, but told me what they really needed was help getting it out there. He said I should write a review or something, repost it.

& If I didn't feel strongly about it--I wouldn't bother at all. However, this is not the case at all. Hence, this post...

I think it was round about this time last year, that Shawn asked me for the use of my photographs to use as accompanying art with their music...Naturally I was surprised, because I still think of myself as very green. But I was assured that I shared the "same dark mindset"...& it's what they were looking for...I was excited, & honored, & allowed them the use of any art they wished.

I was given copies of all of their albums to listen to....& I became...inspired. Like never before, I found music ...that understands me. Music that speaks to me in a way that is rare. Music that comes from the soul...& speaks to mine. When I listen to the songs...I'm not even aware really, of the fact that I'm listening to music created by people I know. I hear only the music. & the story it tells...when I'm blue, or in pain...it resonates deep within in a way that I find comforting. & when I'm looking for music that'll set my mind free...to inspire me in my own creative endeavors, I've been turning to the same place.

These days, you turn on the radio--& everything sounds the same. Generic voices, mimicking one another. The music of The Forest Children...it doesn't sound like anything you've heard. I played some for a girlfriend of mine--& she told me that she really liked it, "because the music was more Real. So much more Real than anything you ever hear on the radio. It's different. & it's our differences that make all the difference."

As for me...to me the music "feels like going home." I don't hear something disturbing & menacing...I hear music that is honest & free. Music that doesn't wear a mask. & that's why I love it.

The newest tune, "Cold Blooded", the one you'll hear in the video...is from the new album "Kingdom Animalia" that The Forest Children will be releasing this Thanksgiving 2010. I myself am quite anxious to hear it in it's entirety. If this video is any indication, it's going to be a real treat. Something unique & inspired--that's not afraid to be itself. Something that starts out earnestly...& as the music picks up... grows in strength & power...& vision.

Check out the video--I encourage you to be open minded & Listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ksORX4aEG8

If you dig it...you can hear more music here:

http://www.myspace.com/theforestchildren

If the music speaks to you....If you think that what we need in this world is more music...that's honest, & true to itself, & Real ...spread the link. Spread the word.

Spread Music like a Virus...

No comments: