Thursday, March 27, 2008

Freak-girl

She always knew she was different, that she didn't quite belong anywhere. Her family thought her strange, her co-workers thought her stranger. She was the Freak-girl, & her very best--& only friend--was Lenny the Lost Boy. Lenny spoke to her only in her head. Always.

Chattering, twittering conversations between the two of them made her days worthwhile; the Freak-girl was never completely alone. Was Lenny only a figment of her imagination? Or was he like her? She didn't care--not really. Well, maybe that's not entirely truthful.

How she wished to see him, with her very own eyes, & how she longed to be seen. She wanted so badly to be seen, really seen, by the one person who'd never made her feel expendable. Disposable.

So, it is on an ordinary day, like any other ordinary day, that the Freak-girl embarks upon her search. She must find him. Lenny, her lost boy.

The Freak-girl shuffles along quietly; she hangs her head, dark hair masking her face. It cascades down in soft waves, hiding soft grey eyes that shine like stars. She's beautiful, but she doesn't know that. So lost. So sad. Where is her lost friend?

She walks along, the rain steaming down, soaking her through. She doesn't notice; she's listening to the boy that no one else can hear.

-"Lenny? Where are you? Why do you hide from me?"

-"I would never hide from you." He answers her. "Not on purpose."

-"Then show yourself. Even if it's only to me. I won't tell anyone. I swear it."

-"I can't. I'm so sorry--but I can't. I don't don't know how." He pleads with her; the sorrow hangs heavy on his voice.

Salty tears stream down the Freak-girl's face; they mingle with the rain, so they aren't evident to the eye. Or they wouldn't be, if she let anyone see her face. Or if anyone bothered to look.

-"Please." She whispers to herself. "I don't want to be alone anymore."

It is at this very moment, from the corner of her eye, that she catches a glimpse of something; it shines from the road. She stoops to scoop it into her palm, brushes it clean with her sleeve. Upon closer inspection, it is only a coin. This small silver coin bares a unique, twisting symbol on one side, & a cryptic inscription upon the other. "Share with me; set your true self free."

-"What the fuck? Share what?"

-"Give it something. An offering." Lenny cuts in.

-"What can I give...to a coin?"

-"Give it something that only you have...just a little piece of you."

Freak-girl doesn't really understand, but she knows in her heart that there is more to this than what she sees.

She puts the coin to her lips, & exhales. Warm, steamy breathe fogs the coin, but nothing else happens. She kisses it; nothing. She places it on her tongue; it's cool, & the metallic taste fills her mouth...but still, it's only a coin.

-"FREAK-GIRL!" Lenny shouts at her; his voice reverberates through her mind. She jumps, startled, & bites down on her tongue. Hard.

-"Fuck! Goddammit Lenny!"

She tastes the blood...bitter & salty. It mingles with the metallic taste in her mouth, & as it engulfs the coin, something strange begins to happen. Freak-girl feels the butterflies in her stomach, as everything starts to tingle. & then her fingers start to fade. They're transparent.

-"Lenny?! What's happening to me?! Help me--please?!"

-"It'll be okay. You'll be like me now. We'll be together." He exclaims; there's a sick sort of glee in his voice.

Freak-girl's arms vanish, as the void crawls up her body. Devouring her. Making her...gone. She gasps for air. Panicking. Gulping. Eyes wild. Losing all tangible feeling. Just...gone.

It is then that she notices the boy flickering into view before her, as she flickers out completely.

-"Lenny! What the fuck did you do to me?! Lenny?!"

-"It's okay now. Don't be scared." He whispers with a crooked grin as he tousles his mousy brown hair. "No one will hurt you. & you'll never be alone again. I can keep you safe in my head now..."

1 comment:

Shawn C. Baker said...

AWESOME!!! I can see why John wants to use this for the submission - reminds me of Sam Keith - I hope theres more a'coming Missi...